Detection of heparin-dependent platelet antibodies.
Negative. A positive result requires >20% release of serotonin with low dose heparin and
The presence of "non-drug" antibodies reactive with platelets (HLA Class I, autoantibodies, platelet-specific antibodies, etc.) in the patient’s serum can induce heparin independent release of serotonin in the SRA.
2 - 4 days
- Heparin Antibodies
- Heparin Associated Thrombocytopenia and Thrombosis
- Heparin Associated Thrombosis (HAT)
- Heparin Dependent
- Heparin Dependent Antiplatelet Antibodies
- Heparin Induced Serotonin Release Assay
- Heparin Induced Thrombosis (HIT)
- Heparin-Associated Throbocytopenia and Thrombosis
- Heparin-Associated Thrombosis (HAT)
- Heparin-Dependent Antiplatelet Antibodies
- Heparin Serotonin Release Assay
- Heparin-Induced Thrombosis (HIT)
- Platelet Aggregation Factor
- Platelet Aggregation Factor, Heparin Dependent
- SRA (Serotonin Release Assay)
- Serotonin Release, Heparin-Induced
- Serotonin Secretion Assay for HAT
- Serotonin Releasing Assay
- Heparin-Dependent Platelet Antibody (SRA) - Unfractionated Heparin
Screen for Heparin Antibody Assay (HITAB) will be performed. If the Heparin Antibody Assay is negative the Serotonin Release Assay will be cancelled with a comment added to both test orders indicating the reason for cancellation.
Collect Serotonin Release Assay specimen in a red top tube; do not use SST tube. Centrifuge, aliquot serum into a plastic vial and refrigerate or freeze. Citrated or ACD plasma specimen is acceptable if serum is not available. Specify Lovenox® (LMWH) or Unfractionated Heparin (UFH).
Requests for the Serotonin Release Assay will be sent to the MLabs Coagulation Laboratory for confirmation of a positive screen for Heparin Antibody Assay (HITAB) at an additional charge prior to forwarding to Mayo Clinic Laboratories. If the Heparin Antibody Assay is negative the Serotonin Release Assay will be cancelled with a comment added to both test orders indicating the reason for cancellation. Test sent to Mayo Clinic Laboratories.