Determine causative agent of infection.
Less than 10 squamous epithelial cells per low power field; normal respiratory flora.
* Reference ranges may change over time. Please refer to the original patient report when evaluating results.
Presence of normal upper respiratory flora will be reported. Normal flora includes: alpha streptococci (viridans group), gamma streptococci, Neisseria sp (not N. gonorrhoeae), Micrococcus, diphtheroids, Hemophilus sp (not H. influenzae), coagulase negative staphylococci, Capnocytophaga sp, Eikenella sp, yeast (not Cryptococcus). If specimen is refrigerated, the following organisms may not be isolated: Streptococcus pneumoniae, H. influenzae.
Preliminary results are reported in 18-24 hours. Negative cultures are reported after 3 days.
- Aerobic Culture, Respiratory, Cystic Fibrosis
- Aerobic Culture, Sputum, Cystic Fibrosis
- Culture, Sputum, Aerobic, Cystic Fibrosis
- Endotracheal, Aerobic Culture, Cystic Fibrosis
- Respiratory Culture, Aerobic, Cystic Fibrosis
- Respiratory, Aerobic Culture, Cystic Fibrosis
- Tracheal, Aerobic Culture, Cystic Fibrosis
- RESPIRATORY CULTURE/SMEAR
- RESPIRATORY CULTURE/SMEAR, CF
- Cystic Fibrosis Respiratory Culture
- Sputum, Aerobic Culture, Cystic Fibrosis
Acceptable specimens include expectorated or aspirated sputum, tracheal aspirate, bronchial aspirate, or throat swab. When ordering the test, please note if patient has cystic fibrosis -- special media will be used for isolation of Burkholderia cepacia, Haemophilus influenzae, and Staphylococcus aureus. For expectorated sputum collection, the patient should be instructed to remove dentures, rinse mouth, cough deeply and expectorate sputum into proper container. Be sure the patient understands the difference between sputum and saliva. For optimum recovery, send immediately after specimen collection.
Refrigerated: Up to 12 hours
Test includes culture and Gram stain smear (except throat specimens). Potentially pathogenic organisms will be identified. Test includes susceptibility testing of potentially pathogenic organism(s) at an additional charge unless specifically declined. Specify current antibiotic therapy and clinical diagnosis.