Provider performed microscopy
Performed by authorized providers in the point of care. The qualitative semen analysis is limited to the determination of the presence/absence of sperm. Semen analysis may be performed to evaluate the effectiveness of a vasectomy procedure. The procedure is performed by a physician or other authorized healthcare provider who has completed the competency assessment.
This procedure does not include concentration of the semen and therefore has limited sensitivity
1. Follow positive patient identification. Follow standard precautions when collecting and handling and disposal of specimens.
2. Label a clean, dry container which is sealable and leak proof with patients identifiers, date, and time of collection.
3. Collect semen in sterile container.
4. Evaluate the specimen within 30 minutes of collection.
5. Store at room temperature (15-30 C). Do not place the specimen in the refrigerator. Do not use specimens older than 2 hours.
For more test specific information, please refer to the test procedure found on the Michigan Medicine POC website: https://www.pathology.med.umich.edu/point-of-care