Confirmation of the clinical diagnosis of diphtheria.
No growth of Corynebacterium diphtheriae.
Negative culture does not rule out infection.
3 - 5 days
- Culture, Cornyebacterium diptheriae
- Cornyebacterium diptheriae Screen
- Culture, Corynebacterium diphtheriae
- Throat, Diphtheria Screen
- Corynebacterium diphtheriae Screen
- Diphtheria Screen
Obtain throat or nasopharynx specimen prior to antibiotic therapy if possible. Indicate specimen source and collection date/time. Send at room temperature in Stuart transport.
Test sent to Mayo Medical Laboratories. For optimal results obtain specimen as early in the course of the disease as possible and before the initiation of antibiotics.