Fibroblasts are grown for various metabolic studies to be performed at an external Reference Laboratory.
* Reference ranges may change over time. Please refer to the original patient report when evaluating results.
Specimens older than 24 hours may not grow. If full thickness biopsy is not obtained, fibroblasts may not be plentiful enough to grow. Specimens collected using non-sterile techniques may have microbial contamination.
3 - 6 weeks for sufficient cell growth depending on the recipient laboratory's requirements.
- Fibroblast Culture
- GENERIC CYTOGENETICS TEST
- Cytogenetics, Skin Biopsy
- Tissue Culture for Sendout Testing
- Cytogenetics, Tissue
- TISSUE CULTURE ONLY
- TISSUE CULTURE ONLY (SENDOUT)
Specimen transport should be arranged so that the specimen is received by MLabs the same day it is collected. Call for a STAT courier if necessary. Obtain skin biopsy. Use alcohol to cleanse skin; do not use betadine. If betadine must be used, wash betadine from skin with alcohol prior to biopsy. Place full-thickness biopsy in Chromosome Media, available from MLabs.