Preliminary results will be reported within 48 hours of performing the autopsy. Final written report may take 1-2 weeks.
Looking to order a test?
We’ve provided helpful links to make ordering easy.Find a Requisition
All specimens should be accompanied by a requisition.Submitting Specimens
Learn about how to properly label and where to ship specimens.Order Kits and Supplies
MLabs provides all the supplies necessary for the collection of specimens.Test FAQ
Visit our provider FAQ and learn about common questions to ordering tests.
Interpretive result provided.
* Reference ranges may change over time. Please refer to the original patient report when evaluating results.
Clients must have pre-approval to send an autopsy to the University of Michigan Health System/MLabs. Please call MLabs at 800-862-7284 to request approval or to notify MLabs of an autopsy request. MLabs will provide transportation of the body from the client location to MLabs. The client must provide the transporter with:
1. A signed legal authorization by the decedent’s next of kin or other approved entity permitting the autopsy to be performed (copy or original).
2. A signed legal authorization allowing both the release of the fetus or adult from UM to the funeral home of choice (a legible copy is acceptable).
3. A properly identified fetus or adult in a body bag for transportation. Placenta fixed in formalin should be sent with fetal autopsies.
4. Relevant history and medical record to include physician’s notes, obstetric history, labor and delivery, neonatal admission and exam, laboratory reports, and ultrasound reports. Please state if there is a specific question for the pathologist.
5. A completed MLabs Anatomic Pathology Consult Requisition supplied by MLabs, preprinted with appropriate client identifiers.