Isolate and identify anaerobic organisms.
* Reference ranges may change over time. Please refer to the original patient report when evaluating results.
Identifications will not be performed on cultures yielding 3 or more organisms.
Antibiotic susceptibilities are not performed.
Preliminary results are reported in 12-24 hours. The health care provider will be notified of positive deep tissue or bone cultures. Negative cultures are reported after 8 days.
- Surgical Specimen, Anaerobe Culture
- Culture, Tissue, Anaerobe
- Biopsy, Anaerobe Culture
- Tissue Culture, Anaerobic
- Bone, Anaerobe Culture
- ANAEROBIC CULTURE
Specimen type: Surgical tissue, bone, biopsy material. DO NOT SEND SWABS. The portion of the surgical specimen submitted to the Microbiology Laboratory should be separated from the portion submitted to the Pathology Department by the surgeon utilizing sterile technique. Indicate specimen source, collection date/time, current antibiotic therapy, and clinical diagnosis.
2.Specimens from sites that have anaerobic bacteria as normal flora will be rejected.
3. DO NOT SEND SWABS.
4. If an unacceptable specimen is received, the client will be notified and another specimen will be requested before disposal of the specimen.
2. Incubate: No
3. Refrigerate: No
4. Freeze: No
Test includes anaerobe culture. Specimens for anaerobic culture should be accompanied by a specimen from the same site for aerobic bacterial culture. If routine aerobic culture is not submitted and direct smear is requested; direct smear must be ordered separately.