Isolate and identify anaerobic organisms
* Reference ranges may change over time. Please refer to the original patient report when evaluating results.
Identifications will not be performed on cultures yielding 3 or more organisms.
Antibiotic susceptibilities are not performed.
Preliminary results are reported in 12 - 24 hours. Negative cultures are reported after 4 days.
- Anaerobe Culture, Cerebrospinal Fluid
- CSF, Anaerobe Culture
- Culture, CSF, Anaerobe
- Spinal Fluid, Anaerobe Culture
- ANAEROBIC CULTURE
This test is rarely positive, and is no longer performed as a routine test. A staff physician or a member of Infectious Diseases Service must contact the MLabs Client Services Center and consult with the laboratory regarding clinical necessity for the test before the specimen will be processed. Collect CSF after sterile preparation of aspiration site. AVOID CONTAMINATION WITH NORMAL FLORA FROM SKIN. Indicate specimen source, collection date/time, current antibiotic therapy and clinical diagnosis on requisition.
For optimum recovery, anaerobe specimens should not be stored. If unable to transport immediately, specimens in anaerobic transport tubes may be held at room temperature up to 24 hours.
2. Not in anaerobe transport and >1.0 hr old
3. Rejection criteria: specimens without prior notification, no clinical indication is written on requisition.
4. If an unacceptable specimen is received, the client will be notified before disposal of the original specimen.
Test includes anaerobe culture. Direct smear is included if additional specimen is sent in a sterile tube (NOT anaerobic transport) and direct smear is requested. Specimens for anaerobic culture should be accompanied by a specimen from the same site for aerobic bacterial culture.