Adrenal function test, evaluation of renal hypertension.
Upright: 4-31 ng/dl; Supine: 1-16 ng/dl
- ALDOSTERONE, SERUM
- Aldosterone, IVC
- Aldosterone, Right IVC
- Aldosterone, Left IVC
Collect specimen in SST tube. Centrifuge, aliquot serum into a plastic vial and freeze.
Aldosterone values are best interpreted with simultaneous plasma renin measurement when screening for primary aldosteronism.
1) If simultaneous plasma renin mass is less than 8 pg/mL and:
· aldosterone of less than 10 ng/dL: Unlikely primary aldosteronism
· aldosterone of 10 to 20 ng/dL: Possible primary aldosteronism
· aldosterone of greater than 20 ng/dL: Suggestive of primary aldosteronism
2) If simultaneous plasma renin mass is greater than or equal to 8 pg/mL and:
· the ratio of serum aldosterone to direct plasma renin mass is greater than 2.6 (ng/dL:pg/mL), findings are suggestive of primary aldosteronism
Multiple factors including medications, sodium status, and other causes may influence these values and could potentially lead to false-positive or false-negative results; these factors should be considered in interpretation as noted in Endocrine Society guidelines [Funder JW et al. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016, 101(5):1889-1916].